Red Sox Willing To Go Over Luxury Tax Threshold Silver Optimistic About New Bucks' Arena Hurricanes Seeing Smaller Crowds So Far Roberts Challenges Silver As She Settles In Orlando City's Rawlins Still A Fan First Franchise Notes Red Sox Spend Big With Ramirez, Sandoval Bills Say Stadium Will Be Ready For Sunday AHL Checkers Likely To Leave Hornets' Arena 2014 Reader Survey: NBA
SBD/April 17, 2013/Franchises
Boston Marathon Bombings: Gotham Describes Celtics' Decision To Cancel Game
Published April 17, 2013
RED SOX PLANS ON HOLD: The Red Sox are scheduled to begin a 10-game homestand Friday against the Royals, and Red Sox President & CEO Larry Lucchino said it is too soon "both in terms of enhanced security and a ballpark ceremony" to discuss how the team plans to respond to the bombings. Talks with MLB officials include “plans to wear a uniform patch honoring the bombing victims, a ceremony before the game Friday and fundraising activities.” Lucchino in a statement said, "In the coming days, we will join with others to find ways to show the victims of this heartless, cowardly act our sincere support, and to demonstrate to all, our community's unity, strength and resilience.” He added that there was “no conversation about not playing” last night’s game against the Indians. Lucchino: “Part of the urging we have received from the public has been to get back to normality as quickly as possible” (ESPNBOSTON.com, 4/16).