SBD/February 12, 2013/Events and Attractions

NASCAR Expects Later Daytona 500 Date To Continue For Foreseeable Future

Daytona's later date makes sure NASCAR avoids any potential conflicts with the NFL
NASCAR and Daytona Int'l Speedway officials said that holding the Daytona 500 “a week later is working out well and likely will continue for the foreseeable future,” according to Dinah Voyles Pulver of the Daytona Beach NEWS-JOURNAL. There has been a “13-week break in racing action” from the season finale at Miami-Homestead Speedway to the Daytona 500 after the decision was made in '11 to "move the 500 back a week, extending the off-season by a week and closing an open race weekend in March, to condense the season a little at the request of its broadcast partner Fox Sports.” NASCAR Senior VP/Racing Operations Steve O'Donnell yesterday said, "We look at it on a year-by-year basis, but so far so good." Moving the 500 later in February “also avoided any potential conflicts” with the NFL, which had “discussed extending its season.” O'Donnell said that he has “read the NFL is still considering adding an additional playoff game.” He said, "Obviously that may affect where we used to run. We always look at what else may be going on from an entertainment standpoint." O’Donnell added NASCAR execs will leave the later race date in place after this season if "all the indicators are still positive" (Daytona Beach NEWS-JOURNAL, 2/12).
Return to top
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug