SBD/November 15, 2012/Olympics

Print All
  • Canadian Olympic Committee Doubles Its Spend To C$100M For Next Four Years

    The COC re-upped with companies such as RBC and General Mills

    The Canadian Olympic Committee yesterday announced that it will “inject nearly [all figures C]$100 million into high-performance sport over the next four years, double that of the previous four-year period,” according to Gary Kingston of the VANCOUVER SUN. The COC said that it “managed to ‘succeed against the book’ by working extremely hard to keep long-term partners and to find new ones.” COC President Marcel Aubut said that the COC was “able to re-up with companies like the Bay, RBC, Suncor, General Mills, Bell Canada and Air Canada and announcements about new sponsors will be made in the coming weeks.” He said that a “detailed breakdown of which sports will receive money will also have to wait, but he did say the $100 million will be for both summer and winter sports and will be directed at four key priorities -- high-performance sport, Olympic and other multi-sport games preparation, ‘best-in-class’ national sport federation development and a specific envelope for the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto.” Canadian Freestyle Ski Association CEO Peter Judge said that the COC's “aggressive pursuit of corporate sponsors the last year has had some effect on the ability of winter sport federations to sign up their own sponsors.” Judge said, "Although, we are targeting different groups and different partners. It's just a matter of finding a good match.com or one of the other alternatives out there. We're very encouraged by what we're hearing back." Aubut also said that the COC will “work hard to create an environment where revenue generation becomes ‘automatic’” (VANCOUVER SUN, 11/15). Aubut said that the COC “spent somewhere just over $50 million over the last four years, with almost all of it coming from corporate donors, and is only able to increase that amount because of their support” (GLOBE & MAIL, 11/15).

    Print | Tags: Olympics
  • LOCOG Accused Of Being "Selective" In Releasing Ticketing Data Figures

    London Games organizers were “accused yesterday of being ‘selective’ about releasing data on ticket sales,” after officials “revealed a partial breakdown but claimed that it would be too confusing to provide every piece of data,” according to Ashling O’Connor of the LONDON TIMES. LOCOG CEO Paul Deighton referred to its “mind-numbing complexity” under questioning by the London Assembly. LOCOG’s sport-by-sport figures “showed the proportion of tickets sold in the five price categories but not an exact breakdown.” London Assembly Member Stephen Knight said the process had been “like pulling teeth.” He added, “Having refused to publish ticket information before the Games started, it is only now trickling out selective information. It is time that LOCOG met its longstanding commitment to publish a full breakdown of ticket sales for every session” (LONDON TIMES, 11/15).

    Print | Tags: Olympics
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug