2014 Reader Survey: College Sports Sherman Critical Of Several NFL Policies MASN Taking Aim At MLB Advance To Nats NHL, NHLPA Aim For Big Money World Cup Red Sox Willing To Go Over Luxury Tax Threshold Silver Optimistic About New Bucks' Arena Bahamas Hosting CBB Despite Gambling Executive Transactions 2014 Reader Survey: Motorsports Jeter Played No Role In Woods' Tribune Piece
SBD/November 7, 2012/Events and AttractionsPrint All
The Syracuse-San Diego State Battle on the Midway, which will take place on the flight deck of the USS Midway Museum, “won’t be played Friday night, with a wet, windy storm bearing down on San Diego,” according to Mark Zeigler of the SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE. The men's basketball game instead will be played on Sunday at 1:00pm PT. SDSU coach Steve Fisher said, “The purpose of the game is to play it on the Midway. The only reason we’re moving it from Friday to Sunday is to guarantee that we can play it on the Midway.” Since the game’s inception last spring, the "rain plan had always been the former San Diego Sports Arena four miles away.” As the dire weather forecasts increased, "organizers considered activating the Nov. 9 date they reserved at the 14,000-seat arena in the city’s Midway District.” Then a “third option emerged.” SDSU by the end of the day yesterday had “rescheduled the San Diego Christian game from Sunday night to Tuesday at 7.” Syracuse, which “doesn’t play again until Nov. 18, also changed its arrival from Wednesday to Friday.” Perhaps the “largest moving part, though, was television.” FS San Diego “already helped bail out the game when it was on the brink of cancellation last month, assuming an undisclosed financial stake in the event.” Now it had to “agree to a new broadcast window three days before the scheduled tipoff.” The consensus was Sunday at 1:00pm PT, which “certainly isn’t ideal, bumping up against ... the NFL.” But the Chargers and Bills both play games that "will be finished (or nearly finished) at tipoff” (SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE, 11/7). Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said, “The whole purpose of this game was to play on the ship. I want to do everything we can to play the game on the ship” (Syracuse POST-STANDARD, 11/7).
After the cancellation of the ING N.Y. Marathon, the “broader challenge” for N.Y. Road Runners and President & CEO Mary Wittenberg will be “how to recover from the weeklong debacle,” according to Belson & Pilon of the N.Y. TIMES. NYRR Chair George Hirsch and NYRR board member Doug Feltman, said that the organization was “still figuring out what impact the cancellation would have on its bottom line.” But they were “confident the organization’s cancellation insurance and the millions of dollars it had in reserve would provide a buffer.” Hirsch and Feltman said that the “high demand to run the marathon, especially among foreign runners, would continue unabated.” But NYRR will have to “talk to sponsors and television broadcasters who did not receive what they were promised this year.” Some runners also are “demanding a refund of their entry fees, which were as high as $347.” Runners have been “guaranteed a spot in next year’s race, but it is unclear how, say, runners who entered by raising thousands of dollars for charities will be handled.” Wittenberg and other NYRR execs will “meet over the next few weeks to work out the details.” The organization is “reluctant to use any money devoted to its youth programs” for refunds, because board members said that “encouraging children to run is one of its missions ... and Road Runners will not bankrupt itself to regain the trust of runners.” While NYRR will “monitor social media and their members to measure how much its reputation has been damaged, it might not get the fuller picture until it sees the impact on enrollment in some of its shorter races.” Despite “hostility toward Wittenberg” for her handling of the storm crisis, she is “unlikely to be ousted.” She “spent years helping the organization grow and has no presumed replacement.” Hirsch said, “Mary has the 100 percent support of me and the board” (N.Y. TIMES, 11/7).
LEAN ON YOUR BROTHER: The AP reported organizers of the Philadelphia Marathon have “opened 3,000 slots for runners who missed out in the more famous marathon across the five boroughs.” Competitors who were registered for the N.Y. Marathon “can enter a lottery to register for the sold-out Nov. 18 race in Philadelphia.” Entries “will be accepted" until 5:00pm ET tomorrow. A computer will then "randomly select as many as 3,000 people” (AP, 11/6).
BNP Paribas Open CEO Raymond Moore has "offered to increase prize money by $1.6 million," $800,000 for both the ATP and WTA, "with the bulk of that money to be distributed to the winners of the first three rounds," according to Leighton Ginn of the Palm Springs DESERT SUN. To Moore’s "surprise, the men’s ATP Tour did not approve the increase" in a vote held yesterday. Moore said that the ATP board "voted 3-3, with CEO Brad Drewett abstaining from the vote." Since hearing the news, Moore said that he "sent an email to Drewett to see if the tour would set conditions for approval, but had not heard back." At this year’s BNP Paribas Open in March, the tournament "increased prize money by $1 million for each tour, on one major condition." The tournament dictated that the "money would be distributed to the quarterfinal winners on up so the singles champions for the men and women would each get $1 million." Since players in the earlier rounds "didn't get much of a raise, it created grumblings on the men’s tour." So Moore said that this year’s prize money increase "was to address those concerns." The increase in prize money "is due to the staggering growth in attendance" (Palm Springs DESERT SUN, 11/7).