Red Sox Willing To Go Over Luxury Tax Threshold Hurricanes Seeing Smaller Crowds So Far Orlando City's Rawlins Still A Fan First Franchise Notes Red Sox Spend Big With Ramirez, Sandoval Bills Say Stadium Will Be Ready For Sunday AHL Checkers Likely To Leave Hornets' Arena NFL Franchise Notes Bills Plan To Practice, Play In Buffalo This Week Rockies Brass Conducts Twitter Q&A With Fans
SBD/July 13, 2012/Franchises
Colts Owner Jim Irsay Sends Letter To Season-Ticket Holders Defending Blackout Decision
Published July 13, 2012
WORTH THE RISK? In Indianapolis, Phil Richards noted the Colts' decision to stick with the old blackout policy "had at least one welcome consequence Wednesday in the team's ticket office: It got phones ringing." Colts VP/Ticket Operations & Guest Services Larry Hall said, "There were three times the number of calls this morning as opposed to the last couple days." Richards noted Colts home games "are 97 percent sold out," and the team has "fewer than 2,000 available season tickets with more than a month before its Aug. 12 preseason opener." Hall and Colts COO Pete Ward said that they "fully expect the team to sell out and blackouts to become a nonissue" (INDIANAPOLIS STAR, 7/12). However, ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky wrote the Colts "are making a big mistake by risking blackouts at Lucas Oil Stadium this season." Games on local TV "are the single best marketing tool a team has" (ESPN.com, 7/11).