Comcast Drops Plans To Acquire TWC Cablevision Offering Cord-Cutting Package MLB National Viewership Off To Good Start Mets Outpacing Yankees In Early Season Ratings Showtime, HBO Pleased So Far With Fight Effort Longtime Stars Announcer Strangis Leaving Team McHenry Returning To Previous Role NBCSN Gets Its Best F1 Audience Media Notes Disney Against New Verizon Bundle Plan
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/December 5, 2011/Media
Published December 5, 2011
HANGING UP THE MIKE: In K.C., Sam Mellinger noted Frank White’s broadcasting contract with the Royals “was not renewed, a move the team and Fox Sports Kansas City announced on Friday, the final crack in a long crumbling relationship between icon and franchise.” White said, “I’m done with the Royals. In all aspects. I’m tired. I’ve worked so hard to build my reputation and prove to them that I was loyal.” White, who played his entire 18-year MLB career with the Royals, “swears he’s done doing anything on the team’s behalf, and wonders if he’ll tell the Royals to take his retired number off the Hall of Fame facade in left field” (K.C. STAR, 12/3).
THROWING A WRENCH IN THE EQUATION: In N.Y., Howard Beck looked at how Celtics G Ray Allen’s filmed appearance on ABC’s “Extreme Makeover” was an “odd casualty of the NBA lockout.” Because Celtics product and garb was featured in the show, Allen "could not be,” and while NBA execs “notified the show’s producers about the restrictions in September,” Allen said he did not learn that his scene -- shot in September -- would be cut from the show until Thursday night, in an e-mail from the producers. He was told it was “because of the lockout.” But the NBA “contacted the show’s producers on Friday to say” any future legal concerns about using players or player images “were now moot,” and ABC “subsequently posted Allen’s scenes” on ABC.com and YouTube (N.Y. TIMES, 12/3).
PROGRAMMING CHANGE: USA TODAY’s Sergio Non reports Bellator Fighting Championships “will shift its live events to Friday starting in 2012 with its sixth season.” Instead of “going head-to-head” with UFC, Bellator will “try its hand against smaller-scale events.” The MMA organization “has yet to figure out starting times for Friday’s broadcasts” on MTV2 (USA TODAY, 12/5).