Comcast Drops Plans To Acquire TWC Cablevision Offering Cord-Cutting Package MLB National Viewership Off To Good Start Mets Outpacing Yankees In Early Season Ratings Showtime, HBO Pleased So Far With Fight Effort Longtime Stars Announcer Strangis Leaving Team McHenry Returning To Previous Role NBCSN Gets Its Best F1 Audience Media Notes Disney Against New Verizon Bundle Plan
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/November 28, 2011/Media
Padres Extend Radio Deal For One Year, Add Bob Scanlan To Broadcast Booth
Published November 28, 2011
PLENTY OF OPTIONS DEBATED: Maffei cited sources as saying that the Padres "tried everything from buying a station, going to an FM station, taking the broadcasts in-house, to carrying games only on the internet." But in the end, the team went back to XERPS, where the "station pays no rights fees, the team picks up much of the expenses, but keeps the majority of the ad revenues." Meanwhile, Maffei noted the Padres as of Friday "still haven't announced a TV deal." KSWB-TV "will be the destination, but nothing has been announced." Garfinkel said, "While we continue to move along, [nothing] is imminent." Sources said that MLB Commissioner Bud Selig "would like to approve the Padres' deal, but is holding off, pending the outcome of the Dodgers' case." Cox Channel 4 sources have said that Fox execs "have inquired about renting Channel 4's studios near Petco Park." Maffei noted several "key members of the Padres' TV production crew have been contacted about working games for Fox." Additionally, Fox has "asked Cox if it can open a channel for Padres' telecasts" (NORTH COUNTY TIMES, 11/25).