Comcast Drops Plans To Acquire TWC Cablevision Offering Cord-Cutting Package MLB National Viewership Off To Good Start Mets Outpacing Yankees In Early Season Ratings Showtime, HBO Pleased So Far With Fight Effort Longtime Stars Announcer Strangis Leaving Team McHenry Returning To Previous Role NBCSN Gets Its Best F1 Audience Media Notes Disney Against New Verizon Bundle Plan
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/November 4, 2011/Media
Published November 4, 2011
KEEPING SOME SECRETS: The WALL STREET JOURNAL’s Reed Albergotti notes every play during an NFL game “is filmed from multiple angles” but despite the $4B "or so the NFL makes every year by selling its broadcast rights, there's some footage the league keeps hidden.” If you ask the league “to see the footage that was taken from on high to show the entire field and what all 22 players did on every play, the response will be emphatic.” NFL VP/Communications Brian McCarthy wrote in an e-mail, “NO ONE gets that." Earlier this month, the NFL “quietly asked fans, through a survey site, whether they would pay up to $100 to watch an online feed of the All 22,” the name given to the pulled-back, wide angle view of the field. NFL Senior VP/PR Greg Aiello said that the league "wasn't actually serious about releasing the footage" and that the survey "was meant only to gauge fan interest" (WALL STREET JOURNAL, 11/4).
BATTLE OF THE VOICES: In N.Y. Bob Raissman writes CBS' top NFL announcer team of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will call Sunday's Jets-Bills game at 1:00pm ET, while Fox' top team of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman “appear in the 4:15 p.m. act, calling Giants-Patriots on Fox.” Raissman writes both No. 1 teams "would like to be known as the best in a cutthroat business.” Sunday there will be “even more scrutiny -- more opportunity to compare and contrast Nantz/Simms with Buck/Aikman." Everything they say "will be intensified, and even “innocuous throwaway lines can spark controversy” (N.Y. DAILY NEWS, 11/4).
CONSTANT CONTACT: BLOODHORSE's Ron Mitchell reported policies at this year’s Breeders’ Cup "will still allow pre-race television interviews with jockeys immediately prior to the start of a World Championship race.” Kentucky Horse Racing Authority Chief Steward John Veitch said that it was agreed upon Wednesday “that jockeys could be interviewed by broadcasters on horseback during the two-minute window leading up to post time” (BLOODHORSE.com, 11/3).