SBD/June 16, 2011/Events and Attractions

Print All
  • Indianapolis' Plans On Track To Host Super Bowl XLVI In February

    NFL Senior VP/Events Frank Supovitz was in Indianapolis this week to examine the Super Bowl host committee's plan, and he "left town with the impression that things are on track and ready to go despite the uncertainties the lockout poses to the game scheduled for Feb. 5," according to Michael Marot of the AP. Supovitz said, "Any good business or brand wants to put their customers first. ... There were some well-documented cases about serving our fans well in Dallas, so that's what this is really about." He added that the "decision to put fans first this year has nothing to do with the lockout." Supovitz "continued to insist that the league expected the game to be played on time." If it is canceled, Supovitz for the first time said that Indianapolis would be "assured of getting another Super Bowl if the city wants it." He added that the game also could be "pushed back a week if the season gets off to a late start." Supovitz said that NFL officials "initially asked Indianapolis to keep two dates open in case the regular season schedule expanded from 16 to 18 games." Since then, the league "has asked all cities bidding on the Super Bowl to book two dates." That "would give Indy some flexibility if the lockout delays the start of the season" (AP, 6/15). Supovitz said that the preliminary plan for next year's Super Bowl "addresses issues such as transportation, hotel accommodations, traffic control, stadium operations, security and marketing." He added that contingency plans have been developed to "ensure winter weather can be removed from streets, sidewalks and public places." Supovitz also said that Indianapolis' layout "offers the opportunity for Super Bowl activities to be within walking distance once fans park downtown" (INDIANAPOLIS STAR, 6/16).

    Print | Tags: NFL, Events and Attractions
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug