Inaugural Miami Beach Bowl Kicks Off Today Aspen Faces Battle For WC Races Taxpayers Pay For Travel To '15 Pan Am Games TSN NLL NFL Flexes Bengals-Steelers Blake Griffin Stars In Kia Ads Cardinals Fans Preview Super Bowl App Raptors Offer Peek At New Logo, Brand Identity College Football Bowl Season Kicks Off Rays' Ballpark Talks May Be Back On Track
SBD/May 12, 2011/Leagues and Governing BodiesPrint All
The CBA proposal from NBA owners that the NBPA "rejected last week called for the implementation of a hard salary cap at a figure lower than the league's current cap, but not until" the '13-14 season, according to sources cited by Marc Stein of ESPN.com. Sources indicated that the "central change made by owners to past collective bargaining proposals called for easing in a more restrictive financial landscape over a three-season cycle as opposed to trying to impose a hard salary ceiling with immediate effect next season." The sources added that the NBA "regards this as a major concession." Sources said that the owners' latest proposal, however, "does still call for immediate rollbacks" of 15%, 20% or 25% to current contracts "depending on salary levels, as part of the league's oft-stated desire to reduce payroll by roughly $800 million leaguewide on an annual basis." Sources said that the NBA's "ongoing push for such sharp salary reductions" is what caused the "quick rejection from the players' side." The sources added that the league "likewise hopes to implement even lower salaries for rookies than they currently make based off the league's rookie scale" (ESPN.com, 5/11).
DIFFERENT GAME OF TAG: SI.com's Zach Lowe cited sources as saying that the NBA "proposed to the players’ union last month a version of the 'franchise tag' that it wants to include" in the next CBA." But it would be "very different from the NFL's version." While the NFL's franchise tag "allows a team to essentially block one of its free agents from entering the market," the NBA's recent proposal would allow a team to "designate one player for preferential contractual treatment, including more overall money, more guaranteed money and at least one extra year on his contract." A player "would have to agree to such a designation," and sources said that it is "designed to work as an incentive to get a player to remain with his team rather than as a roadblock to free agency." Sources stressed that this is "one small part of a larger proposal and must be considered as such." Sources also said that the league's proposal "would ban fully guaranteed contracts." All contracts would have "limits on the amount of money a player would be guaranteed to receive, and those guarantees would decline during the life of each contract" (SI.com, 5/11).
Giants President & CEO John Mara will attend Monday's NFL CBA mediation session in Minneapolis "after missing the last round when he was on jury duty," according to Gary Myers of the N.Y. DAILY NEWS. Mara was the only NFL owner present for all "final nine of the 16 negotiating sessions that were held" in DC and presided over by federal mediator George Cohen leading up to the lockout. Mara, seen as a "voice of reason" in the talks, will be one of four owners attending next week's mediation, alongside the Panthers' Jerry Richardson, Bengals' Mike Brown and Steelers' Art Rooney II (N.Y. DAILY NEWS, 5/12). However, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora said, "I'd be lying if I told you there was a great amount of excitement or anticipation on either party in this matter, the NFL or the NFLPA. They're there because they're legally forced to be there. They'd be held in contempt of court if they did not abide by the judge's rules and show up in these chambers and go through this mediation. ... I don't see either side going ahead and punting on their legal options, really sitting down and hammering out a deal" ("NFL Total Access," NFL Network, 5/11). Meanwhile, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell yesterday "addressed pointed questions" about the lockout during a conference call with approximately 6,800 Panthers PSL owners, the "highest participation in the dozen or so conference calls Goodell has held with teams' fan bases." Panthers PSL owner Mike Smith said, "The majority of (questions) probably were labor-related, or people expressing a dissatisfaction or an anxiousness of things to get resolved. He was very clear. While he didn't throw any blame at anyone, he said more than once that it will only be settled at a negotiating table." Goodell also discussed Richardson's "role in the labor discussions" (CHARLOTTE OBSERVER, 5/12).
FIGURE EIGHT: ESPN.com's John Clayton reported in case the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals upholds U.S. District Court Judge Susan Nelson's ruling to lift the NFL lockout, a "group of front-office executives and owners is studying what type of free-agent system to implement." If the NFL imposes the same system the league used in '10, "it will be interesting to see if it brings back the 'Final Eight' plan." In an uncapped year, the "top eight finishers from the previous season are handcuffed in free agency: The four teams that played in the title games can sign a free agent only if they lose a free agent, and the four teams that lost in the divisional round of the playoffs can sign a player at a modest cost, roughly $3.8 million in the first year" (ESPN.com, 5/11).
COME TOGETHER, RIGHT NOW: In Denver, Mike Klis reported for the "first time since the labor dispute ushered in an offseason of annoying uncertainty," Broncos players gathered as a group on Tuesday "for a formal team conditioning workout at the South Suburban Sports Dome, the facility team owner Pat Bowlen rents for practice during inclement weather." Fifteen players reported to the session, organized by S Brian Dawkins (DENVER POST, 5/11). Similarly, Lions QB Matthew Stafford and DE Kyle Vanden Bosch are going to gather teammates "for a team workout in the next week or so" (MLIVE.com, 5/10). Chargers QB Philip Rivers also has organized workouts for teammates, and as "many as two dozen Chargers have showed up for those sessions, which are held four days a week." Rivers on Saturday "echoed what teammates have said -- that NFL players, by and large, are not entirely clued in to what is happening in their labor battle with owners." Rivers: "We don’t know anything. I’m just waiting for them to tell us when to go back to work" (SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE, 5/10).
Sanchez says that players know that
they are working out at their own risk
DON'T FORGET ABOUT US: In Philadelphia, Les Bowen reports several NFL player agents this week said that they "aren't yet counseling undrafted clients to pursue other leagues, but all said they felt undrafted rookies were the biggest early victims of the stoppage." Agent J.R. Rickert said that he "feels an added responsibility to those clients this year; they are depending on him to make the call as to how they should proceed." Rickert: "We have to really do a good job, make an honest assessment -- how much of a priority free agent is he?" He added of undrafted free agents, "Those are the guys who are really going to get hurt. You never get a second chance to start your career." Eagles S Quintin Mikell, who initially made the team as an undrafted free agent, said, "If I'd come out now, I might not have had a chance to make a team" (PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS, 5/12).
SURVEY SAYS: One in five Americans say they will be less likely to watch when the NFL season begins, according to findings from a recent Adweek/Harris Poll survey. Two-thirds of those surveyed reported that they will not be any more or less likely to watch (67%), with 11% saying they would be much less likely to watch. Twelve percent of respondents ages 18-34 say they do not plan to watch football at that time, compared to 19% among those 35-44, 18% among ages 45-55 and 25% among those 55 years and older. Americans who earn less than $35,000 annually are also least likely to say they will be less likely to watch football when the season begins (16%). The survey was conducted online between April 25-27 among 2,124 respondents (Adweek/Harris Poll).------- AGES ----------------- INCOME ----------TOTAL18-3435-4445-5455+<$35K$35-50K$50-75K$75K+
Much more likely2%2%3%2%3%3%3%6%1% Somewhat
No change in likelihood67%70%64%67%65%65%71%64%72% Less likely19%12%19%18%25%16%21%18%20% Somewhat
Much less likely11%6%9%12%17%12%15%8%11% Not at all sure10%12%11%12%6%14%2%10%5%
Joe Torre yesterday said that he is "enjoying the new role" of MLB Exec VP/Baseball Operations. Torre is "visiting teams from coast to coast, determining the course of his new office." In his "final year managing the Dodgers in 2010, Torre found that he could no longer handle the losing." Torre: "It wasn't balanced out by the winning anymore. I hated it. I was more ready not to do what I've been doing for years. When the Commissioner made this job offer to me, I asked him a few times if he thought I could do it. It was the insecurity of not knowing what the job entailed, even though it's baseball-related. But it has been fun and very energizing for me" (MLB.com, 5/11).
HERE WE GO AGAIN...: In Toronto, Damien Cox writes the NHL CBA signed in '05 "was supposed to stabilize all the league’s franchises," but it did not. The CBA "was supposed to bring player costs under control, and it didn’t." Six years after the NHL lockout, "how can we be here again?" Cox: "Multiple failing franchises, more than a third of the league’s teams up for sale, the Bettman administration in its second year of full ownership of one club, $300 million franchises valued at half that and spectacular losses being declared despite the fact that since the lockout the league has gone from a $2 billion industry to a $3 billion industry." Hockey fans "better get ready for what's coming." Cox: "Another lockout. ... The league didn’t get its 'idiot-proof' CBA; therefore, it must try again" (TORONTO STAR, 5/12).
FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT: In Ft. Worth, Anthony Andro notes while NASCAR fined drivers Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick for a confrontation last weekend, the governing body instead "should be thanking them for their on- and off-track clashes." NASCAR should "celebrate what makes it different from other sports.” Regan Smith, who won last weekend’s Sprint Cup race, “would have gotten more of the spotlight” if not for the feud. But Andro writes, “I don’t fault Fox or NASCAR for focusing on the feud. Smith is a nice story, but in the big picture, he doesn't hold a candle to two of the sport's big stars getting into it.” Former driver Kyle Petty said, “NASCAR didn't step in, they didn't stop it from escalating, they let it escalate and they let it escalate on national TV" (FT. WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM, 5/12).