NFL Moves Commissioner's Address Up Woody Johnson Will Be U.K. Ambassador ION ESPN To Televise Golden Boy Fight Cards Raiders File Paperwork To Move To Vegas Golf Channel Has New PGA Merch Show Deal Chargers Hold L.A. Kickoff Ceremony At The Forum MLBAM, NBC RSNs Reach Streaming Deal FIA Approves Sale Of F1 To Liberty Media Van Pelt, King Discuss Evolution Of "SportsCenter"
SBD/February 21, 2011/FacilitiesPrint All
Escondido and San Diego city officials said that if California Gov. Jerry Brown “succeeds in abolishing municipal redevelopment agencies, it will most likely scuttle plans for a minor-league baseball park in Escondido and a new Chargers stadium in downtown San Diego,” according to Tony Perry of the L.A. TIMES. The two cities had been “counting on money from redevelopment agency coffers to make private-public partnerships a reality.” Escondido "wants to build a stadium to convince" Padres Vice Chair & CEO Jeff Moorad to transfer the Triple-A PCL Tucson Padres to the northern San Diego suburb. The City Council in December “tentatively approved using $50 million in redevelopment funds.” The use of redevelopment funds in San Diego “was seen as a last-chance to build a downtown venue to replace the city-owned Qualcomm Stadium.” Chargers Special Counsel Mark Fabiani said elimination of the city's redevelopment agency would "make the downtown San Diego stadium idea nearly impossible to implement." Fabiani: "You never want to say never in the stadium building business, but it's very, very hard to see how something could work downtown without a redevelopment agency." Perry noted even if redevelopment funds “were available, getting San Diego voters to approve a stadium deal would be difficult.” San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders has said that he “would like to see a plan put before voters in 2012” (L.A. TIMES, 2/19).
PUTTING UP A FIGHT: In San Jose, Lisa Fernandez notes the Santa Clara City Council tomorrow plans to “send a message to Gov. Jerry Brown: Don't take away our stadium money.” City leaders are "doing whatever they can to remind the governor that the 68,500-seat, $937 million" 49ers stadium planned next to the Great America theme park "has been a long-standing project that involves redevelopment funds, and should not be cut under Brown's proposal to do away with redevelopment agencies.” City leaders said that without redevelopment funds, they have “no other public money to tap for the project” (SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, 2/21).
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman Saturday said that the Rexall Place "is no longer adequate" for the Oilers' needs and that the team "won't stay in the building." Bettman added that he has "already been through one campaign to keep the team in the city, and that he doesn't want to have to go through another one." Bettman: "This building is obviously outdated, and for this city to continue to attract concerts, family shows, conventions, having a new state of the art arena is important. Equally as important is this team. The Edmonton Oilers [have] to have a new arena. There is not a question about it. They are not going to stay in this building." Oilers Owner Daryl Katz "is currently in negotiations with the city to build a new downtown arena" (CP, 2/19).
WILDCAT WAY: Learfield Sports, the sales and marketing rights holder at Rupp Arena, has agreed to a five-year extension on the deal, which now will run through '16. Learfield operates the Rupp Arena property as part of a joint venture with IMG College. The property came into Learfield's possession as part of the acquisition of Action Sports in '08. The new deal includes additional plasma TV monitors that will be placed above the concession stand windows, featuring menu items and advertising, according to Learfield Senior VP Steve Gowan (Michael Smith, SportsBusiness Journal).
LACKING PIZAZZ: The SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS reported city "watchdogs are barking furiously these days after seeing a new rendering" of the MLS Earthquakes' proposed stadium. The documents submitted to the city by Devcon Construction "show stark and rudimentary sketches of the stadium, not the colorful U-shaped version unveiled by team co-owner Lew Wolff to much acclaim at a September 2009 event." The "bare-bones version ... is alarming soccer fans and skeptics alike," and they wonder whether it "is a sign that Wolff is backing out of his support for the stadium." But Earthquakes President Dave Kaval said that the rendering is "simply a way to show where the 15,000-seat stadium will be placed" on its proposed site (SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS, 2/20).
COLLEGE TRY: In DC, Mike Jones reported the Redskins "will not be holding training camp at George Mason University as they had hoped." Redskins Exec VP & GM Bruce Allen and George Mason AD Tom O'Connor Friday announced that "despite working to move training camp to the Fairfax campus and away from" Redskins HQs in Ashburn, Va., "for the first time since 2002, the details couldn't be completely resolved this year." O'Connor in a statement said that GMU "wasn't able to give the Redskins the assurance that all of the needed facilities would be available at the time training camp is scheduled to take place." But Allen said that he "still hopes to one day have training camp at George Mason" (WASHINGTONPOST.com, 2/18).
WHAT ABOUT BOB? In Indianapolis, Mike Chappell noted former Colts S Bob Sanders, who was released by the team on Friday, remains "one of five players featured on large posters" on the exterior of Lucas Oil Stadium. It is "only appropriate to take down the approximately 35-by-60 foot picture" now that Sanders has been released. But Colts COO Pete Ward said, "We haven't really thought about that yet." Chappell noted QB Peyton Manning, TE Dallas Clark, WR Reggie Wayne and DE Dwight Freeney are the other players featured on posters outside the building (INDIANAPOLIS STAR, 2/19).