Published January 12, 2011
|Purdy thinks golfers should at least try wearing a microphone|
Golfer Ted Purdy in a special to GOLF.com wrote “curiosity is why we ought to embrace Golf Channel's move to put microphones on a few players each week.” The plan is “strictly voluntary and the audio wouldn't be live, so there's no chance that the wrong moment will be broadcast.” Purdy was on the PGA Tour's policy board when it approved miking players during tournaments a few years ago, but “it never happened.” Purdy: "I hope it catches on now. The bottom line is, we're trying to sell a product. Anything that helps is good.” It could be “entertaining because golf has so much down time between shots.” There are “opportunities to chat, which could be fascinating.” Purdy: “You'd have to mike the right guys, of course. My No. 1 choice would be Rory Sabbatini. He's funny, plus you never know what's going to come out of his mouth.” Conversations on the golf course are “inevitable,” and in the “age of blogging, Tweeting and podcasts, wearing microphones shouldn't be a big deal.” Purdy: “I think it's worth a try” (GOLF.com, 1/11
). Golfer Justin Rose, also in a special to GOLF.com, wrote he can “see where the concept would be good for golf and make the telecasts more lively, and the guys who did it would be more marketable.” Rose: “But for me, I don't think it will fly." Rose noted he previously wore a mike during the Tavistock Cup, and he was "oblivious to it after the 1st hole" physically. Rose: "But the effects lasted the entire round. I try to feel as free as possible with my game, and I don't want to be too mindful and conservative while I'm on the course. When I'm having a conversation with my caddie, Mark (Fouch) Fulcher, or a playing partner, I don't want to feel self-conscious.” Miking golfers also could be a “competitive disadvantage if players can listen in on other players' conversations” (GOLF.com, 1/11
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? In California, Marc Figueroa notes the Tour at the Jan. 27-30 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines will allow fans to “carry their mobile devices as part of a testing process that began last year.” Tournament Dir Tom Wilson said that spectators “will be able to use their devices in designated areas.” Phones “must be set to silent mode.” The Wyndham Championship in August '10 “conducted the first test, and subsequent tests were held at the Frys.com Open in San Martin and the unofficial Chevron World Challenge in Thousand Oaks.” Figueroa notes there “were major disturbances reported.” Wilson said that the Tour “wanted to conduct further tests at larger events with stronger fields and chose" Farmers and the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am in February (NORTH COUNTY TIMES, 1/12).