SBD/October 27, 2010/CollegesPrint All
As part of an impending settlement, Nevada and Fresno State "would make the 2011 football season their WAC finale before leaving for the Mountain West, not the current one as the two schools had vowed," according to Ferd Lewis of the HONOLULU STAR-ADVERTISER. Sources said that a "proposed settlement detailing their exit date and financial penalties could be put before" the WAC BOD this morning. However, a source said there is "no guarantee it will be decided (today) -- or in two weeks." The WAC "refuted Internet reports yesterday of a settlement being concluded." WAC Commissioner Karl Benson previously had called "any departure before 2012 a 'line in the sand,' saying the remaining schools would be unable to fill out their schedules on such short notice." The WAC initially "had insisted on the $5 million per school" exit fee that "was part of the so-called solidarity pact agreed to in early August, but recent indications are the figure will be under $2 million and could involve some loss of shared WAC revenue" (HONOLULU STAR-ADVERTISER, 10/27). ESPN Radio 1430 Fresno host Paul Swearengin yesterday cited a source as saying that "one option under discussion was to have the schools each pay $1 million and agree to keep their football teams in the WAC for one more season." Under that scenario, other sports "could leave by next school year." In Fresno, Bryant-Jon Anteola notes Monday "marked the 60-day deadline by which Fresno State and Nevada were originally asked to pay" the $5M exit fee. However, Benson said that once negotiations began, the "deadline became moot" (FRESNO BEE, 10/27).