Bettman Praises Shanahan's League Office Work NWSL Eyes Elusive Stability, Viability Judge Denies NFL Concussion Settlement Selig Praises New Replay System Production Dips For Some NHL Clubs Post-Olympics Vikings, Twins Owners Want Expansion MLS Club La Russa Happy With Replay So Far Not All NHLers Like New Playoff Format Haas Bullish On New F1 Team Golf's Young Talent Steps Into Spotlight
Upcoming Conferences and Events
SBD/Issue 244/Leagues & Governing Bodies
Published September 2, 2010
|Manchester City Spent More Than Any EPL
Club During This Summer's Transfer Window
EPL clubs spent approximately $539M (all figures U.S.) during this summer's 12-week transfer period, the "lowest figure in four years" and down from $692M in '09 and $814M two years ago. Manchester City was the summer’s “biggest spender, splashing out around” $192M, an amount “almost four times as much as archrival Manchester United." EPL clubs during January's transfer period spent only $46M, "the lowest since the mid-season window was introduced" in '03. UEFA President Michel Platini said, “For years and years, we were in total anarchy. But we can see that clubs are spending less. Transfers haven’t been as crazy in the last few years" (WALL STREET JOURNAL, 9/1).
LOOKING FOR FACE TIME: NHL Dir of Social Media Marketing & Strategy Michael DiLorenzo said that more than 40 NHL players are Twitter users but “fewer than 40 players also use Facebook or have fan pages on Facebook.” In L.A., Helene Elliott reports the NHL is “examining how to balance the potential for invaluable promotion against the potential for harm.” DiLorenzo in an e-mail said, “We have not had a policy governing the use of social networks by players but are in the process of developing one. We have, at times, provided counsel to clubs and even individual players on some basic guidelines for sensible usage” (L.A. TIMES, 9/2).
ASIAN INVASION: GOLFWEEK's Forecaddie reports Taiwan “won’t be the only new addition to the LPGA’s Asian Swing." Tournament organizers reportedly are “working toward bringing an event back to China, penciling it in after Singapore.” The addition of another Asia tournament would bring the “count to seven events in 2011” (GOLFWEEK, 9/3 issue).