Quote of the Day
"Not to criticize the IOC, but on future Winter Olympic host city applications, you might want to add the question: 'Does it snow there?'"
-- Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert, on the lack of snow around Vancouver prior to the Games ("The Colbert Report," Comedy Central, 2/11).
Vancouver Becomes Center Of The Sports World
NBC officials have a "great sense of anticipation" as the network kicks off its coverage of the Vancouver Games this weekend. The network estimates that 200 million viewers will tune in over the course of its more than 835 hours of coverage, which would rank as the second-most watched Winter Olympics. However, NBC faces a few hurdles, including inclement weather possibly throwing off the network's precise schedule. The Peacock though likely is breathing a sigh of relief as the highly-marketable Lindsey Vonn will attempt to compete despite her bruised shin. Vonn is not the only well-known athlete in Vancouver -- Shaun White ranks atop Forbes' list of highest-earning Winter Olympians. In other news, many Olympic sponsors are using the Games to push social media efforts, but a panel of marketing consultants expresses a general surprise at the lack of pre-Games activation.
Why Don't You Stay A While
Roger Goodell signs extension to remain NFL Commissioner through '15, will not take raise.
We Pledge Allegiance
U.S. Olympic officials now have the government on their side in an ongoing effort to thwart ambush marketers, especially Subway.
With This Ring ...
The USOC faces a critical two weeks, aiming to turn over a new leaf with the IOC.
Who's Gonna Start The Fire?
VANOC holds Opening Ceremony cards close to the vest, hoping for element of surprise.
The Price Of Doing Business
Shahid Khan's purchase of the Rams values the club at $750M, though whether he will buy 60% or 100% remains to be seen.
Daryl Katz ups the rhetoric, says a new arena is "crucial" to the Oilers' future in Edmonton.
Looking In For The Signal
Bob Bowman says he has yet to decide if he will enter Michigan's gubernatorial race.
- NBC Has High Hopes For Olympics Coverage
- NBC's Tape-Delay Plan Draws Complaints
- USOC Hopes Olympics Helps Global Relatio...
- Weather Concerns Persist In Vancouver
- VANOC Tight-Lipped On Final Torchbearer
- Shaun White Shares Top Spot In Forbes Li...
- Execs Discuss Vonn's Marketability
- USOC Vows To Get Rid Of Ambush Marketers
- Olympic Roundtable On Pre-Games Marketin...
- Olympic Marketing Notes
- U.S., Canada Expect To Battle For Most M...
- IOC Hears Updates On London, Sochi
- "The Office" Features Olympic-Themed Int...
- Olympic Notes
- Olympic Media Monitor
- THE DAILY's Olympic Medal Stand
- The Latest From SBD/SBJ's Olympic Site