SBD/Issue 238/Hot Reads
Published August 28, 2009
The PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS' Stan Hochman writes of the NFL helping block single-game sports betting in Delaware, "Talk about counterintuitive. Americans are illegally betting millions of dollars on any given Sunday. Squelch a legalized, regulated, taxed betting scheme and you promote illegal betting" (PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS).
The Bergen RECORD's Ian O'Connor writes of this week's PGA Tour The Barclays, "You don't need to spend more than 15 minutes around the first leg of this FedExCup playoff race to know the average fan behind the ropes has no idea how the system works or why he or she should care how it works" (Bergen RECORD).
- Writer ranks the 10 worst free-agent signings in NBA history.
- Anonymous NFL player reflects on the pitfalls of being a pro athlete.
- Dana White is his usual loquacious self at UFC 102 press conference.
- Has MMA evolved into a sport with socially-redeeming qualities?
- Horse racing has only a sliver of hope of survival in Michigan.
- NASCAR PR exec Ramsey Poston discusses use of social media.
- Rays Spanish-language radio voice Enrique Oliu overcomes blindness.