MASN Taking Aim At MLB Advance To Nats Jeter Played No Role In Woods' Tribune Piece Twitter Impact On Sports Reporting Keeps Growing NBC Sports Sees Big F1 Gains Media Notes ESPN Draws Lowest "MNF" Rating Of '14 Finebaum Hosting Call-In Show During Iron Bowl FS North's Ratings Decline For Twins Games Continues App Review: Cavaliers For iPhone Cowboys-Giants Rating Lower On NBC
SBD/Issue 236/Sports Media
Published August 26, 2009
|All Future Red Sox Games Beginning
Tonight Will Be Carried On WEEI-AM
TWEET ON: The SPORTING BLOG's Dan Levy noted several ESPN personalities, including Bill Simmons, Mark Schlereth and Jemele Hill, are still posting on Twitter despite the network's rules governing use of the site. Levy wrote it "will be interesting to see if ESPN further relaxes their edicts, puts the kibosh on the whole thing, or lands somewhere in between." Rumors "swirled that ESPN really only cared about breaking news on ESPN platforms instead of Twitter, and the rest of the guidelines were just window dressing." Levy: "Maybe the higher-ups are more concerned about Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter breaking news on Twitter than the Sports Guy ripping shock jocks" (SPORTINGNEWS.com, 8/25).
NET GAIN: The HOLLYWOOD REPORTER's Anthony Crupi reports USA Network last week "held on to win one of the final weeks of the ad-supported cable season, holding off surging ESPN to keep its hold on the two core demographics," adults 25-54 and 18-49. For the week ending August 23, USA averaged 1.5 million viewers in adults 25-54, ahead of ESPN's 1.3 million. USA averaged 1.3 million viewers in adults 18-49, leading ESPN by "about 19,000 viewers" (HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, 8/26).
CORNERED KICK: "World Soccer Daily" radio host Steven Cohen said that he ceased production of his show last week due to "death threats made against his family." Cohen "infuriated Liverpool fans earlier this year with his comments regarding the 20th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster, the worst tragedy in English soccer history." Since Cohen made the comments, his sponsors "were bombarded by e-mails from Liverpool fans," and Cohen said that he "lost around eight advertisers" (WHITTIER DAILY NEWS, 8/26).