USA Swimming Exec Dir Chuck Wielgus Dies Orlando Pride Do Not Sell Out Marta's Debut S.F. Sports Legends Given Street Names Near Candlestick Cubs Fans Buy Up Replica World Series Rings Target Field Named First Gold LEED Certification In U.S. Tim Howard Issues Apology Following Fan Altercation A's To Reveal New Ballpark Site In '17 Bettman Insists NHL Will Not Go To PyeongChang ESPN Events Purchases Miami Beach Bowl Triple-A Isotopes Trying One-Day Rebrand
SBD/Issue 84/This Week's SBJPrint All
See this week’s issue of SportsBusiness Journal as well as www.sportsbusinessjournal.com for these stories and more.
THIS WEEK'S HEADLINES
• This week’s SBJ In-Depth examines the relationship between music and sports marketing, including the recent trend of musicians signing shoe deals, the connection between the music industry and NASCAR, and a roundup of experts’ commentaries. •
24 Hour Fitness signs Andre Agassi to ten-year endorsement deal.
Free-agent salaries in MLB are down 28% this offseason.
ESPN.com to launch “Page 3” devoted to the crossover between sports and entertainment.
Visa reprising Ultimate NASCAR Experience promotion with new element.
• Analysis: The escalation of the RFP. • One-on-One interview with ESPN Senior VP John Skipper.
• The Lefton Report: News from the Super Show in Orlando includes some new reports worthy of concern, the building of an NBA mass merchandise licensing program, and NFL licensees’ and retailers’ Super Bowl hopes.
• Global Sports: Four-time Olympic swimmer Dara Torres moves to Premier Management Group; the crises keep coming for South Korea’s Un Yong Kim; site ranks Paris, Rio and London as preliminary favorites for 2012.
Breaking Ground: Frisco, TX says it will be break ground on soccer stadium on time despite having to go through the bid process to find a construction company for a second time.
• Labor & Agents: Football hall of famer Kellen Winslow Sr. helping his son pick an agent, has some advice for others in the same spot; golfer Steve Flesch picks up endorsement for a medical product he uses.
• Media Tracker: Fourth-quarter ratings leaders for broadcast and cable, plus State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships ratings.