A-B Departs As Team USA Sponsor MLS Wraps Up Media/Marketing Tour MLB Continues Collaboration With Mayors Ganassi Lands Credit One As Sponsor NAPA To Sponsor Rossi's IndyCar Ride Price Chopper To Sponsor Royals Under Armour Signs Fournette As Endorser TD Ameritrade Not Returning As USOC Sponsor Warriors Hold Lavish Arena Groundbreaking Bell, Zenkel Among NBC Sports Promotions
SBD/Issue 57/Hot ReadsPrint All
With FedExForum at halfway mark, commission foes continue fighting.
Matt Kenseth may be the least-known NASCAR Winston Cup Champion.
The WASHINGTON POST’s Steve Fainaru writes of the BALCO investigation, “The unlikely center of it all is [BALCO President Victor] Conte, 53, a former bass player for the Bay Area funk band Tower of Power. The controversy has provided an unvarnished view of a charismatic entrepreneur who built a company around a used piece of lab equipment, then forged key relationships with athletes, doctors, academics and coaches to carve out a piece of the nutritional supplement business” (WASHINGTON POST).
The L.A. TIMES’ Michael Hiltzik writes of San Diego and its relationship with the Chargers, “It wouldn’t be long before the city discovered what many other communities across the land had learned: The NFL has a way with a poisoned chalice that would leave Lucrezia Borgia speechless with admiration. Not only have the Chargers fallen far off from Super Bowl quality, but the 1995 deal has cost San Diego millions of dollars – without eliminating the threat that the team might depart anyway” (L.A. TIMES).
The S.F. CHRONICLE’s Glenn Dickey writes, “The Yorks should sell the 49ers. Lack of money is behind the 49ers’ problems. … The 49ers badly need a new stadium, but the Yorks can’t afford it, even with the help of the NFL. … The solution is obvious: Sell the club to somebody with deeper pockets. That kind of person, or business, would probably recoup the expense of building a new stadium over the years” (S.F. CHRONICLE).
- Buccaneers Owner Malcolm Glazer could hold the key to ManU’s future.
- The bottom line on conference title games is … the bottom line.
- Computer programmers play a crucial role in college football bowl race.
- A look at the Penguins’ plight from a Canadian perspective.
- Humorous take on the abundance of sponsorship entitlements in sports.
- Cable industry preparing defense against Rupert Murdoch, News Corp.
- One columnist increasingly amused and enlightened by big-time colleges.
- Falcons Founder Rankin Smith among the most forgotten owners in NFL history.
- WI-based The Sportsman Channel is must-see TV for hunters, fishermen.
- Columnist offers advice for Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen regarding Invesco.