Mets Unlikely To Make Another Splash In Free Agency Bettman Says NHL Fielding Expansion Inquiries Phillies Not Planning To Increase Payroll NHL Seeks Balance Between Excitement, Player Safety Sounders To Increase Capacity In '14 Dolphins Investigation Won't Wrap In '13 Blazers President Enjoys Busy First Year Redskins Sorting Through Shanahan Options Bettman: NHL Salary Cap To Increase MLB Attorneys: Selig Previously Denied A's Move
ISLANDERS TAKING A "BIG LEAP" IN TALKING TO NYC ABOUT A MOVE
Published September 17, 1998
Islanders co-Owner Steven Gluckstern said that he "likely will refuse to return" to the Nassau Coliseum under the current lease even if Spectacor Management Group (SMG) fixes safety problems, according to Marc Berman of the N.Y. POST. Gluckstern: "The courts can say things, the league can say things. It's a determination we have to make as owners of the team, not some third party." SMG President Wes Westley said that the hoist holding the scoreboard "has been replaced" and his company bought an upgraded model for $150,000. Islanders President David Seldin, referring to SMG failing to disclose an inspection on the hoist system: "We've got a manager whom we firmly believe lied to us and withheld information." An Isles statement said the team has spoken with "a number of municipalities in the tri-state area, including New York City" about relocating. Berman adds that an NHL source said that the statement implied a "permanent move," and talking to municipalities rather than arena owners was a "big leap" (N.Y. POST, 9/17). Nassau County Exec Thomas Gulotta will meet with Seldin and Westley on Thursday. The NHL will not send a representative, but plans to hire independent engineers to inspect the Coliseum (N.Y. TIMES, 9/17). On L.I., a NEWSDAY editorial: "Did the county move too slowly to address safety questions about the equipment that secures the scoreboard overhead in the 25- year-old Coliseum? The answer: Yes" (NEWSDAY, 9/17). WHAT ABOUT THE FANS? The Islanders and the One on One Sports Radio Network agreed to a one-year deal to carry games on WJWR-AM, according to Steve Zipay of NEWSDAY. The games will also be simulcast on WLUX-AM to reach more of Long Island. WJWR-AM GM Jamie Rush: "We'll be broadcasting all 82 regular-season games -- from where, I don't know yet" (NEWSDAY, 9/17). In NY, Anthony McCarron writes under the header "Islander Move Has Fans Up In Arms" (N.Y. DAILY NEWS, 9/17). Gluckstern, on the fans' patience with the off-ice problems: "If you keep hitting someone across the face with a two-by-four 50, 60, 70, 80 times, I'm sure they eventually stop coming back" (John Valenti, NEWSDAY, 9/17).