IMS Continues NASCAR Attendance Battle Large Crowd Turns Out For Baseball HOF Inducation Carl Edwards Leaving RFR In '15 LPGA Deems Inaugural Int'l Crown A Success RTA Hopes To Add All Full-Time NASCAR Teams Johnson Leads In NASCAR TV Exposure F1 Race In New Jersey Delayed Again Int'l Crown Organizers Bullish On First Event Stewart Wants Cup, Nationwide At Eldora Officials Confident In Safer U.S. Open Of Surfing
Upcoming Conferences and Events
DAYTONA INT'L CANCELS PEPSI 400 DUE TO BRUSH FIRES IN FL
Published July 2, 1998
Daytona Int'l Speedway (DIS) officials announced today that NASCAR's Pepsi 400 race, scheduled for Saturday night, has been postponed until Saturday, October 17, due to brush fires in central FL. DIS President John Graham: "The wildfires plaguing Daytona Beach and surrounding communities intensified Wednesday night to a level that makes postponing this race the right thing to do. Our manpower, facilities and resources will remain completely devoted to our community until this crisis is over." All Pepsi 400 tickets will be honored on the rescheduled date. The cancelation is the first in the event's 39-year history (NASCAR). On Thursday, NASCAR Dir of Communications John Griffin said, "Sure, we've been concerned about the situation, but we're not making any decisions about the race until we're on the site." Earlier in the week, DIS officials "were confident that the fires wouldn't affect" the race, but as the race nears, they became "more worried" (ORLANDO SENTINEL, 7/2). OF NOTE: CBS was scheduled to broadcast the race on Saturday, and CBS Dir of Communications LeslieAnne Wade told THE DAILY this AM that the net will air its regular Saturday night programming. Wade said the net will decide next week whether it will cover the race live in October (THE DAILY).