Cuba Decision Could Impact MLB Silver Discusses Future NBA All-Star Sites NASL Team Owner Discusses MLS Plans FIFA's Chief Investigator Resigns Current, Former Fighters Sue UFC Bernie Ecclestone Retains Control Of F1 Top ATP Events Could Sue Tour Over Prize Money Portland Bank Signs Unique Deal With Timbers Mara Thinks NFL Got It Right With Conduct Policy Peterson Plans Lawsuit Against NFL
SBD/2/Leagues Governing Bodies
Published March 2, 1998
The state of soccer in the U.S. was examined by Marissa Silvera of the SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS. U.S. Soccer Federation President Alan Rothenberg "hopes the public can show some patience" before judging the viability of the pro game in the U.S.: "I don't expect the public to give us 40 years, but give us at least 10 years." He alluded to the U.S. team's first win over Brazil in the Gold Cup semifinals last month and said, "In many ways, this year has already been a success for U.S. Soccer. The only way that it's not successful is if we are embarrassed in Paris or something horrible happens in the MLS" (EXPRESS-NEWS, 3/1). NUVEEN TOUR SANS CONNORS? The prospects of the Nuveen Tour without founding member Jimmy Connors was examined by Meri-Jo Borzilleri of the MIAMI HERALD. Connors said recently that he may have lost some desire to continue playing. Tour co-Founder Ray Benton said without Connors, "the tour might put more emphasis on its international market." Benton has had discussions with Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Mats Wilander about joining when they turn 35. Citibank, which is an event sponsor, said it will continue backing the Tour. Citibank President & CEO Frits Seegers: "We believe big-time in the concept. And the concept is bigger than one player" (MIAMI HERALD, 3/1).