Red Sox Willing To Go Over Luxury Tax Threshold Hurricanes Seeing Smaller Crowds So Far Orlando City's Rawlins Still A Fan First Franchise Notes Reds Upgrading GABP Ahead Of All-Star Game Red Sox Spend Big With Ramirez, Sandoval Bills Say Stadium Will Be Ready For Sunday 2014 Reader Survey: MLB AHL Checkers Likely To Leave Hornets' Arena FS North's Ratings Decline For Twins Games Continues
SPORTS COMMISSION ASKS TWINS TO HALT SALE ATTEMPTS
Published January 9, 1998
The Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission (MSFC) "stepped up its legal attempts to keep the Twins in Minnesota" asking the team to "'stand still' and halt all actions that could result in the franchise's sale and relocation," according to Jay Weiner of the Minneapolis STAR TRIBUNE. In a letter to Twins President Jerry Bell, the MSFC said it "will vigorously challenge the team's attempt to exercise the 'escape clause' in its lease." Bell said that the team "will not withdraw its notice" to the commission that it plans to leave after the '98 season. (STAR TRIBUNE, 1/9). In the letter, MSFC Chair Henry Savelkoul "questioned the two factors -- sagging attendance and three years of financial operating losses -- that team officials say allow the team to vacate the Metrodome." Savelkoul says that the MSFC "could argue in court" that the attendance and losses "are the residue" of the strike, and that the Twins and other MLB teams "contributed to the strike through unfair labor practices" (PIONEER PRESS, 1/9).