SBD/3/Facilities VenuesPrint All
Those in support of a plan to build a new stadium for the Brewers admitted Monday afternoon they still do not have enough votes to pass a stadium bill in the Senate, but "agreed to push for Senate action" on the measure today, according to the MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL. Senator Peggy Rosenzweig yesterday: "We don't have enough votes yet, but we will by tomorrow." While WI Gov. Tommy Thompson said stadium supporters were five votes shy of the 17 needed in the Senate, Brewers officials said former Brewers Hank Aaron and Robin Yount would be at the Capitol today lobbying on the stadium legislation. Brewers President Bud Selig and GM Sal Bando will also be on hand to generate support for the measure (Amy Rinard, MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL, 10/3). OPPOSITION: Meg Jones notes in the JOURNAL SENTINEL that a letter signed by eight Racine County supervisors calls for the county's corporation counsel to draft a resolution challenging the constitutionality of the stadium plan's proposed five-county sales tax increase. No legal challenges can officially be made until the bill is signed into law (MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL, 10/3).
Supporters and opponents of the proposed downtown DC arena got one last chance yesterday to "persuade" the National Capital Planning Commission (NCPC) that the project will be a "boon or boondoggle," according to the WASHINGTON POST. Approximately 50 people spoke before the 12-member panel, which votes Thursday (Maryann Haggerty, WASHINGTON POST, 10/3). Upon gaining approval of the NCPC, the arena "will have cleared its final major hurdle." The project still faces a "pro forma" vote by the DC Council and final approval by the Redevelopment Land Agency. Both will act next week (Lorraine Woellert, WASHINGTON TIMES, 10/3). JOHNSON DENIED, THIS TIME: The D.C. Contract Appeals Board yesterday dismissed an appeal filed by BET President Robert Johnson to prevent Bullets/Caps Owner Abe Pollin from building the arena. Johnson's attorney said the appeal will be taken to a DC Superior Court judge on Thursday (Lorraine Woellert, WASHINGTON TIMES, 10/3).
With an October 13 deadline to produce a bill, the MA House Ways and Means Committee held a "field hearing" last night in South Boston on the megaplex. Phil Primack of the BOSTON HERALD notes that while both crowd size and intensity "were down by a half," the message was the same as in the summer -- "no way." Boston City Council President James Kelly: "A stand-alone convention center is something that people across the board can live with. What we cannot live with is a baseball park, and a football stadium would be equally disastrous." Representatives from the Patriots and Red Sox were not present, though they had appeared before the committee last week. The next "field hearing" is scheduled for next week in Roxbury (BOSTON HERALD, 10/3).