ESPN Down, NFL Net Up For Draft Ratings Golf Channel Posts All-Time High For April Red Sox, WEEI Renew Broadcast Partnership YES Network Takes Down Port Authority Ads Female Sportswriters Mean Tweets PSA Goes Viral ESPN's Marie Donoghue Talks The Undefeated Sager Becoming Revered Amid Cancer Fight Media Notes ESPN, NFL Net Won't Spoil Draft Picks On Twitter NBC To Compete With MLBAM In Streaming
NBC DISMISSES ANY INTEREST IN INDY 500 ALTERNATE; FOX QUIET
Published September 22, 1995
As reported in yesterday's SPORTS BUSINESS DAILY, some IndyCar owners are said to be discussing a possible alternate race to the Indy 500 if Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Tony George refuses to lift new qualifying standards. Currently, the new standards will require 25 of the 33 Indy 500 qualifying spots to go to those accumulating points in George's upstart Indy Racing League. Sources indicate a possible alternative race could be held Memorial Day Weekend at Michigan Int'l Raceway in Brooklyn, MI, which is owned by Roger Penske. THE SPORTS BUSINESS DAILY asked the four major networks for their stance on a possible alternate Indy 500. Other than ABC, which holds the rights to the Indy 500, THE DAILY inquired if there was any interest in televising such an event. ABC: ABC Sports Dir of Media Relations Mark Mandel said the network will not become involved in the dispute between IndyCar and the IRL. Mandel: "We have a good relationship with both parties. This is not a good situation. But both sides are reasonable people. We hope they come up with a solution to these problems." NBC: NBC's Ed Markey said there has been no discussion about possibly televising such a race, and added: "I don't think we have any interest in that." FOX: Fox Spokesperson Vince Wladika said there had been no discussion about it and had no other comment. CBS: The DAILY was unable to reach anyone for comment.