Roger Curtis Leaving Michigan Speedway Audience Metric For “TNF” Games In The Works Tirico, Jones Added To Notre Dame Broadcasts Tickets Nearly Sold Out For '17 PGA Championship AXS Sports Facilities & Franchises and Ticketing Symposium Sam Ponder Returns As Endorser For Xyience Astros' Correa Signs Deal With Blast Motion Foot Locker's Manhattan Store Reopens U.S. Open Rolls Out Roof, New Grandstand NFL Undecided On Sensors In Balls For Season
The sponsors of the '96 Games in Atlanta were dealt a "marketing setback" as a federal judge refused to allow a city ordinance that would have permitted "as many as 25 gargantuan billboards" in the Atlanta area, according to Lyle Harris of the ATLANTA CONSTITUTION. The order is the result of a lawsuit filed by one of the city's largest billboard owners, Outdoor Systems, Inc. The megasigns would have been as tall as 90 feet, and as wide as 40 feet. The ordinance would have also stipulated 80% of the signs be Olympic-related, with the remaining 20% retained for advertising logos, symbols, or slogans. ACOG officials were instrumental in helping city officials craft the ordinance in order to satisfy sponsors who paid as much as $40M for sponsorship rights. The large signs would have overshadowed competitors' smaller billboards that could be present in Atlanta during the Olympics. U.S. District Judge William O'Kelley found the ordinance in violation of free speech rights and equal protections guarantees. Outdoor Systems' Randy Romig: "I'm concerned about the image of the outdoor advertising industry, and I thought the size of these signs was outrageous" (ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, 5/4).
ACOG officials report that after three days, ticket requests are nearly double what they expected for the entire first week. ACOG has received 34,000 completed order forms. ACOG Managing Dir for Games Services Scott Anderson stated that "publicity and a pent-up demand for everything Olympic" is spurring the early tide. ACOG CFO Patrick Glisson reported that ACOG has revenue commitments on 72% of the overall $1.6B budget, not counting revenue from the first two days of ticket sales. ACOG still has $438M to go to break even. Price Waterhouse's Robbie Pound, who handles ACOG's books: "Given the level that the ticket processing system worked (Tuesday), we can take some comfort in the fact that it's the largest single line-item left on the revenue side" (Turner & Harris, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, 5/4).