NHL Players Won't Compromise For Olympics Redskins Casting Wide Net In GM Search Franchise Notes NFL Source: Raiders Have Enough Vegas Votes MLB Cards Fans Can Attend Any Game For Monthly Fee AFL Baltimore Brigade Having Low Ticket Sales Franchise Notes Labatt Inks Five-Year Deal At Little Caesars Arena Sources: Raiders' Relocation Fee Between $325-375M Bonds Returns To Giants As Special Advisor
JETS DEAL REPORTEDLY LONG-TERM; NAME CHANGE IN WORKS?
Published May 23, 1995
The effort by local groups to keep the Jets in Winnipeg is "not for one-year, but for long-term," according to a source close to negotiations cited by Douglas & Samyn in this morning's WINNIPEG FREE PRESS. A plan expected to be released today will call for a new 16,000-seat arena and "also add a host of new local owners to the group." The new ownership group will reportedly pay current owners Barry and Marvin Shenkarow, Randy Moffat and Harvey Secter C$32M for 42% control of the club. Provincial and local governments will continue to control 36%; the Shenkarows, Moffat and Secter will hold 22%. A news conference today is expected to announce details (WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, 5/23). REGIONAL APPEAL? When the team was seemingly headed south a few weeks ago, the Jets officially retired their name and logo following the final game of the season at Winnipeg Arena. Tim Campbell of the WINNIPEG FREE PRESS reports that nobody is certain what the team will be called next year, but "speculation is the team will be called the Manitoba Jets" (WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, 5/23). BETTMAN'S HAPPY, RIGHT? NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman told the WINNIPEG FREE PRESS yesterday that the effort to keep the Jets in Winnipeg is "extraordinary and heartening." Bettman denied reports that neither he nor the league wanted the team to stay. Bettman: "We haven't said it, we haven't felt it and we don't believe it. We're happy for the Jets and the fans of Winnipeg if it all works out" (Don Campbell, WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, 5/23). DON'T CRY FOR MINNESOTA: Bettman, on the Land of 10,000 Lakes: "We're delighted there was an interest in having the NHL return to Minneapolis but long-term, we can satisfy that in other ways" (WINNIPEG FREE PRESS, 5/23). NORDS PUT ON HOLD: The sale of the Nordiques is on hold -- "at least for now." A Radio-Canada report last night said team President Marcel Aubut and Quebec Premier Jacques Parizeau will meet today "in a last-ditch attempt to keep the franchise." Discussions will reportedly center on the government offer that Aubut rejected last week (CP/TORONTO SUN, 5/23).