Bettman Denies Link Between Concussions, CTE Cubs' Chapman "Tone Deaf" Talking To Media Texans' McNair Talks Goodell, Raiders To Vegas Twins Hire Korn Ferry To Help With GM Position Andrew Johnston Is Golf's New Celebrity MLB Warns Yasiel Puig On Shoes Sale Says White Sox Put Business Ahead Of Winning Borders Addresses WNBA Fines U.S. Cellular Field To Host Rare Music Festival MasterCard Draws Social Exposure During MLB ASG
SBD/15/Leagues Governing Bodies
BASEBALL'S SALARY CAP BURIED AS QUICKLY AS IT WAS REVIVED
Published May 15, 1995
Two MLB owners said late last week that management will continue to negotiate for a payroll tax system with the MLBPA and "won't return to a salary cap proposal," according to Mark Maske of the WASHINGTON POST. One owner said, "I wouldn't worry about it. The cap is not coming back." Reports from Wednesday's owners meeting in Itasca, IL, seemed to indicate that the payroll tax was off the table in favor of a return to an earlier salary cap provision. Another owner told the POST that the "mood was 'We really wish we could have a salary cap.' ... But most realized it is impossible now" (WASHINGTON POST, 5/15) DON'T INVITE THESE MEN TO THE SAME PARTY: At least three owners, including the Orioles' Peter Angelos, called on their fellow owners to hire a full-time commissioner at the Itasca meetings. But Braves President Stan Kasten said that as far as he is aware, owners "still plan to hold off hiring a commissioner until after there is a labor agreement." Former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell and former Democratic National Committee Chair Paul Kirk were among those mentioned as possibilities (Mark Maske, WASHINGTON POST, 5/15). Acting Commissioner Bud Selig continued to take a hit in the weekend press. In Toronto, Richard Griffin writes that Selig "can't turn a profit with his own organization, but is the man designated by owners to organize baseball" (TORONTO STAR, 5/13). In Miami, Mike Phillips criticizes both MLPBA Exec Dir Donald Fehr and Selig, writing "if I wanted someone to get something done, I'd hire anyone but Selig." Phillips calls for new negotiators (MIAMI HERALD, 5/14). In Philadelphia, Frank Dolson reports on the owners return to court last week in an attempt to lift the injunction. Dolson: "The insensitivity and downright stupidity that seem to abound at the top levels of this wonderful game boggle the mind" (PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, 5/15). In the current issue of NEW YORKER, Roger Angell writes on the game's return from the "ruinous labor wars" (NEW YORKER, 5/22 issue). David Cone on fan apathy: "We do not have an agreement. They don't trust us, and I don't blame them" (SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE, 5/14).