Lexington Mayor Pushing Forward On Rupp Upgrades Purdue Upgrading Ross-Ade Stadium NHL Jets May Add Seats At MTS Centre MLB Facility Notes A's Negotiating 10-Year Coliseum Lease Selig Praises New Replay System Big East Signs Lease For New HQ Mariners Financials Strong Despite Play NYC FC To Play Three Years At Yankee Stadium La Russa Happy With Replay So Far
Upcoming Conferences and Events
RED SOX OFFICIALS WANT OUT OF FENWAY BY 2001
Published May 1, 1995
Red Sox officials announced Friday that they have "accelerated their timetable for moving out" of Fenway Park and hope to be playing in a new stadium by 2001, according to the BOSTON GLOBE. Red Sox CEO John Harrington told the state commission planning a Boston convention-sports complex, dubbed the Megaplex: "We really don't want to leave Fenway. The problem is the 83-year-old stadium has become economically obsolete." Harrington said he believes the team could finance a $150M stadium if it is given a 15-acre site and the state pays for parking and highway improvements. The team prefers a new ballpark in South Boston -- an area that would fit their desire to be close to mass transit, highways and parking garages. Harrington also told the commission that they hope to persuade MLB to hold the All-Star game in Boston 2001, the 100th anniversary of the Red Sox, whether a new stadium is ready or not (Richard Kindleberger, BOSTON GLOBE, 4/29).