SBD/21/Sponsorships Advertising Marketing

Print All
  • A TEAM BY ANY OTHER NAME COULD JUST SELL MORE HATS

         The new ownership of the Single-A St. Catharines Blue Jays
    is changing the team's nickname.  The NY-Penn League club is
    considering five new names:  Stags, Blue Reos, Stompers, Canal
    Rats and Channel Cats.  There is a slim chance the group will
    stick with Blue Jays.  The name will be selected by February 1
    (Jim Byers, TORONTO STAR, 12/21).
    

    Print | Tags: Toronto Blue Jays
  • ATLANTA SPORTS MARKETING FIRM ACQUIRES HULA BOWL RIGHTS

         Universal Marketing Associates (UMA) announced yesterday
    that it has acquired the marketing rights to college football's
    Hula Bowl all-star game in Honolulu.  UMA's rights begin with the
    upcoming game on January 22, 1995 and continue through the 1999
    game.  UMA VP Bob Longmire: "We are actively pursuing the
    acquisition of sports properties, and although we will be working
    in concert with the Aloha Bowl Foundation, we have developed an
    ownership position in regards to the national marketing of the
    event."  UMA is currently in negotiations with what they call a
    major national restaurant chain regarding title sponsorship of
    the Hula Bowl.  UMA expects to make an announcement within the
    next two weeks (UMA).
    

    Print
  • MARKETPLACE ROUND-UP

         Sega released early figures for the holiday season that
    indicates that, according to their numbers, '94 will be the third
    straight year Sega wins the holiday season sales battle with
    Nintendo, Atari, etc. (Sega)....A U.S. District Court judge in
    Chicago ruled in favor of Pepsi in a dispute with Quaker Oats
    over trade secrets that former Pepsi exec William Redmond could
    share with his new employer, Quaker Oats.  The injunction
    prevents Redmond at Quaker from using or disclosing confidential
    information on Pepsi until May 1995 (CHICAGO TRIBUNE, 12/21)....A
    two-page ad spread by Digital appears in today's WALL STREET
    JOURNAL that previews the upcoming bowl games (WALL STREET
    JOURNAL, 12/21).... Sporting goods store sales rose 41% in the
    eight South Atlantic states (DE, MD, DC, VA, WV, NC, SC, GA & FL)
    during the five-year period from 1987-92, according to a National
    Sporting Goods Association analysis (NSGA)....In its year-end
    issue, FORBES projects that Gaylord Entertainment, parent company
    of TNN and minority owner of the Texas Rangers, will "do better
    than its peers" in entertainment and information business in the
    coming years (Nashville TENNESSEAN, 12/19)....Cobra Golf Inc.
    announced yesterday that it has reached a definitive agreement
    with Polymark France to acquire all the remaining outstanding
    shares of Cobra Golf Europe, effective January 1.  Cobra
    currently owns 20% of Cobra Golf Europe, the remaining 80% will
    cost them $4M to purchase (Cobra).
    

    Print | Tags: Acushnet, PepsiCo, TNN
  • MLB PROPERTIES OFFERS UP AUTHENTIC APPAREL JUST FOR KIDS

         MLB Properties announced yesterday that pre-game batting
    practice jerseys, turtlenecks and replica baseball jerseys for
    kids will be offered for the first time by Majestic Athletic, an
    Authentic Diamond Collection licensee.  Faust Capobianco,
    Licensing Coordinator for Majestic Athletic:  "We are excited
    about our new venture with Major League Baseball Properties and
    look forward to leading the way with authentic products for
    children.  This most recent effort is another way in which
    Majestic and MLBP have positioned out business for continued
    growth in the expanding kids' category" (MLBP).
    

    Print | Tags: MLB
  • THE NEXT HOT SPORTS DRINK INGREDIENT: GLYCEROL

         According to a report in the ORLANDO SENTINEL, Glycerol, a
    common ingredient found in substances like moisturizers and
    paints, may become the "hottest buzzword among endurance
    athletes" as it makes its way onto the market in sports drinks.
    Studies have shown that drinking glycerol and water before
    engaging in endurance sports causes the body to absorb more
    water, thus staving off dehydration.  Currently available over-
    the-counter in drug stores as an "emollient" that athletes in-
    the-know are mixing and drinking on their own, glycerol is on the
    "verge of new fame as an ingredient in commercially marketed
    sports drinks" (Diane Hubbard Burns, ORLANDO SENTINEL, 12/20).
    

    Print
Video Powered By - Castfire CMS Powered By - Sitecore

Report a Bug