Mets Unlikely To Make Another Splash In Free Agency Phillies Not Planning To Increase Payroll Attorneys Seek Interim Trustee For CSN Houston Sounders To Increase Capacity In '14 Dolphins Investigation Won't Wrap In '13 Minding My Business With Lon Rosen Blazers President Enjoys Busy First Year Marvin Miller Again Falls Short of HOF Vote Redskins Sorting Through Shanahan Options MLB Attorneys: Selig Previously Denied A's Move
CHARLOTTE WILL WAIT FOR BASEBALL
Published November 4, 1994
Spencer Stolpen, president of the AAA Charlotte Knights, said the city decided not to submit a bid for an MLB expansion team this year because the population is not yet high enough to support a franchise. Mayor Richard Vinroot says the area is "probably five years away from having enough people in the core of our market area." Stolpen says he and Knights owner George Shinn discussed a bid with several MLB officials. Shinn's Knights Castle Stadium conforms to major league specifications and can be expanded from 10,000 to 45,000 seats. Sports Marketing Consultant Max Muhleman, who assembled Charlotte's bids for the Panthers and Hornets, said he would "support George [Shinn] as the logical owner" when the city is ready for a team (CHARLOTTE OBSERVER, 11/1).