Cuban To Visit USF Sport Management Program Details Emerge About Rio Games Golf Fields Torrey Pines Likely To Host '21 U.S. Open Ross Wants To Pay For Stadium Upgrade Martha Ford Takes Over Lions Ownership NHL GMs Reluctant To Make Major Rule Changes Rogers Praised For Hiring Of Stroumboulopoulos CBS, Turner Plug March Madness In N.Y. Subway Classified Advertisements CBS Bumping Up Tipoff Time Of NCAA Title Game
Upcoming Conferences and Events
The Daily's Hot Reads For Thursday: Spanish Peanuts
Published July 11, 2013
REUTERS' Rogers & Larraz Mora write, "Recession-hobbled Spain is increasingly having to face up to a new reality marked by stinging budget cuts that threaten the country's status as a hive of sporting excellence" (REUTERS).
The L.A. TIMES' Bill Dwyre writes, "The mud and slop into which big-time college athletics keeps descending never ceases to amaze. Tuesday's story in The Times about Steve Alford's financial situation at UCLA is merely more sewage on the sludge" (L.A. TIMES).
The OTTAWA CITIZEN's Wayne Scanlan writes in the wake of RW Daniel Alfredsson leaving the Senators to join the Red Wings, "Ottawa hockey fans don't need to know how every dollar is accounted for, in and out. They do need – as do NHL players – faith that the operation is stable and capable of going for it on occasion" (OTTAWA CITIZEN).
- Could horse racing benefit from monthly championship event?
- Why playing in N.Y. is more burden than boon for athletes.
- Why Peter Baum spurned MLL for career with LXM Pro.
- Double-A Akron Aeros to pay tribute to fictional ballplayer.
- Portland State AD Torre Chisholm talks construction projects.
- Solheim Cup Tournament Dir Becky Newell preps for event.