NBA/ABC, NASCAR/Fox See Gains Protests Erupt Outside Of Camden Yards Bettman: "Katy Perry" Chants Not Sexist Mayweather-Pacquiao To Set Sponsor Records CBS, Time Warner Promoting Fight Classified Advertisements Longtime Expos GM Fanning Dies At 87 CDI Balances Profits With Kentucky Derby Experience Poll Shows Generational Divide Over Boston Bid Pitt Names Utah State's Barnes Next AD
Upcoming Conferences and Events
The Daily's Hot Reads For Friday: Second City Savvy
Published March 8, 2013
CHICAGO SIDE SPORTS' Tab Banford writes, "The Blackhawks are off to a record-setting start that has impressed everyone except Stephen A. Smith. While the players on the ice and coaches behind the bench are getting a lot of credit (rightfully so), general manager Stan Bowman should also get a tip of the cap" (CHICAGOSIDESPORTS.com). Also, a look at White Sox GM Rick Hahn's leadership style (CHICAGO SUN-TIMES).
YAHOO SPORTS' Dan Wetzel writes, "The Big East might no longer be the top basketball conference in the country … but it'll still be very good, even capable of being great. And, I believe, it will continue to stage the nation's best conference tournament and one of the great events on the sports calendar" (SPORTS.YAHOO.com). Also, who will own Big East records, stats once the conference splits up? (HARTFORD COURANT)
SPORTSJOURNALISM.org's Eric Deggans writes of ESPN's ombudsman vacancy: "Here's hoping the self-proclaimed 'Worldwide Leader in Sports' continues to lead in the most important way, hiring a new ombudsman quickly to keep its ethical compass evolving on the right track" (SPORTSJOURNALISM.org). Also, ESPN looks to embrace cutting-edge statistical analysis, a.k.a. "Big Data" (ADWEEK.com).
From The Arizona Republic's Special Spring Training Section:
- Time to maximize economic benefits of Cactus League.
- Cactus League's future success depends on hotel tax.
- Camelback Ranch is a debacle, Salt River Fields a model.
- Despite controversies, NASCAR doing more right than wrong.
- How Proskauer Rose became most powerful law firm in sports.
- Writer feels NFLPA should sharpen its focus on gun culture.
- NBA age-limit debate revived after Nerlens Noel knee injury.
- NHL players divided on whether to play with helmet visors.
- World Of Outlaws features dizzying schedule of frequent races.
- Without regional foes, declining interest in Boston College hoops.
- Writer ranks best sports commentary booth duos in L.A. history.
- Is humor Shaquille O'Neal's biggest asset or worst enemy?
- Angels GM Jerry Dipoto embraces sabermetrics, human element.