Orlando City Unveils New Stadium Design BBVA Bancomer Stadium Opens NFL, Union Ask For Expedited Court Schedule DraftKings Expands MLB Partnerships NHL Looking At '22 Beijing Games NBA Hosting African Game Berman, Dilfer To Call "MNF" Game Chung Mong-Joon Launches Bid For FIFA Presidency Turnkey Survey Shows Importance Of Internships NBC, ESPN, Fox Expected To Bid On EPL
The Daily's Hot Reads For Tuesday: Ready To Wear
Published February 19, 2013
ESPN.com's Jeff MacGregor writes of Oscar Pistorius: "The distance he'll fall is exactly the height of the pedestal we built for him. … In sports there's a global economy of mythic fictions. Sports runs on profitable illusions of heroism and goodness and wisdom, too. We just add statistics" (ESPN.com).
The SAN ANTONIO BUSINESS JOURNAL's W. Scott Bailey writes, "Arlington, Dallas and Houston have invested huge sums of public and private money since 2001 to develop new domed stadiums and arenas. … Those cities have been rewarded with a number of major sports and entertainment events. Some of their biggest victories have come at San Antonio’s expense" (BIZJOURNALS.com).
- Does raising taxes for stadium funds set dangerous precedent?
- Writer criticizes Bleacher Report's strategy for building audience.
- Cubs' new Mesa Riverview Spring Training facility a year away.
- Some major colleges fear looser NCAA recruiting regulations.
- Many Pac-12 hoops fans upset about start times catering to TV.
- Should mascot name controversies be worked out at local level?
- Jerry Buss' journey began in tiny town of Kemmerer, Wyoming.
- Donald Trump making Doral Golf Resort & Spa world-class.
- Danica Patrick's year of life changes led to historic Daytona pole.
- News of Roger Goodell's salary comes on heels of rough year.
- Former NHLer Scott Parker helping soldiers with PTSD.