ESPNU Studio Ops Moving To Bristol Chargers Reach TV, Radio Deals In L.A. Plan To Replace Pimlico Gets Backing Bleacher Report Debuts Brand Campaign Hawks-Wizards Has Early Start Time Timbers Unveil Stadium Expansion Plan ESPN Begins Laying Off Around 100 Personalities Where Does NASCAR Go With Dale Jr. Leaving? Manfred: Bush-Jeter Deal For Marlins Not Done David Abrutyn's Career Intertwined With Caps History
Upcoming Conferences and Events
May 31 - Jun 1
The Daily's Hot Reads For Thursday: Majoring In Sports?
Published November 29, 2012
The CHRONICLE OF HIGHER EDUCATION's David Pargman writes, "Why do we impose upon young, talented, and serious-minded high-school seniors the imperative of selecting an academic major that is, more often than not, completely irrelevant to, or at least inconsistent with, their heartfelt desires and true career objectives: to be professional athletes?" (CHRONICLE.com).
The N.Y. TIMES' Jere Longman writes, "For an especially lucrative occupation, one might consider becoming a fired college football coach. The latest symbol of the college football arms race is not the coaches' salaries themselves but rather the money that university officials are spending to buy out those huge contracts" (N.Y. TIMES).
The BUFFALO NEWS' Bucky Gleason writes, "The results for the Bills have been mostly the same since … the turn of the century? No. Since their glory days of the 1990s? No. Try the Kennedy Administration. The one constant has been owner Ralph Wilson, who blew out 94 candles last month while his team flamed out" (BUFFALO NEWS).
The FINANCIAL TIMES' Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson writes, "Companies from the magazine sector to the music business have picked up the habit of looking outside when they have a vacancy at the top: after a decade of digital disruption, too few media executives have unblemished records of success or foolproof recipes for the future" (FINANCIAL TIMES).
On The Late Marvin Miller:
- How Miller paved way for success of super-agent Scott Boras.
- Miller shaped not only baseball, but all of modern sports.
- After Miller, MLBPA developed a backbone in negotiations.
- Adderall at the center of current PED controversies in NFL.
- Learning to deal with Scott Boras is critical for MLB teams.
- USL Riverhounds set to open new stadium in Pittsburgh.
- Mobile concussion app helping NFL standardize diagnoses.
- Rebuilding Browns is a task too tall for just one leader.
- Tijuana-based soccer club Xolos continues rapid ascent.
- Are female athletes held to different standards of conduct?
- NHL fans do not care about blame; they only want their hockey.
- ITV soccer announcer Adrian Chiles speaks with voice of a fan.